Broadcom 6160 SAS Switch
Share storage between servers in direct-attached storage environments for greater performance and efficiency
The LSI SAS6160 Switch is a ½ width, 16-port switch that fits into the 1U form factor. The switch extends the capabilities of SAS in direct-attached storage (DAS) environments by allowing multiple servers to connect to one or more independent storage systems. The LSI SAS6160 is designed to provide customers with a low-cost and easy to use storage networking option for storage installations in cloud computing, mega datacenter and small- to medium-sized business (SMB) environments, over separations of up to 25 meters.
By allowing storage resources to be shared across multiple hosts and managed effectively through the SAS Domain Manager (SDM) utility program, the LSI SAS Switch helps customers maximize storage resource utilization, reduce islands of storage and simplify storage management, backup and upgrades.
Simple plug-and-play integration is further enhanced by having complete SAS management available through an embedded utility via an HTML browser. The embedded utility is designed to create and modify port con-figurations and zoning, view the topology of the SAS domain and perform firmware maintenance. It also offers the flexibility to reconfigure without reconnecting cables or adding hardware.
SAS 2.0 compliance helps assure broad compatibility with other 6Gb/s SAS interfaces, enabling a single switching infrastructure to address multiple classes of storage, supporting a mix of 3Gb/s and 6Gb/s, SAS and SATA end devices. Incorporation of active cable support on two of the ports enables the SAS Switch and any connected devices to be placed up to 25 meters from the Switch itself.
A single SAS Switch can be used in a normal configuration, or two switches can be configured for a High Availability (HA) application where both ports of the storage system are connected using redundant paths. Should one of the switches fail, the second one will continue normal operation. This flexibility adds additional value to the SAS6160 Switch.
Features and Benefits:
- Embedded SAS Domain Manager (SDM)
- GUI & CLI management utility
- SAS in-band and Ethernet out-of-band management interface
- T10 zoning
- Switch-based discovery, self configuration
- Configuration/topology validation
- Event logging and error reporting
- SES support of switch environment
- Simple, easy integration
- Industry-standard SAS infrastructure
- Enables direct-attached-storage to be scaled as a low-cost storage network
- 16 SAS ports (4 SAS phys per port)
- 24Gb/s SAS connections, aggregate bandwidth of 384Gb/s
- 1U 1/2 wide form factor
- SAS and SATA connectivity of up to 1,000 devices
- T10 zoning compliant
- Out-of-band management utility
- OS independent
- Tiered storage solution with SAS and SATA drives
- Lowers acquisition cost without sacrificing expansion capabilities
- Efficiently connect multiple servers to multiple storage systems
- Increase connectivity and reliability by using multiple switches in topology
- Share and pool storage – fewer, larger storage arrays
|Lsi® Sas6160 Switch Specifications|
|SAS Protocols||SSP, STP and SMP|
|SAS Ports Configuration||Sixteen x4 Phy Wide|
|SAS Bandwidths||Half Duplex Wide Port (4 phys) – 24Gb/s||Full Duplex Wide Port (4 phys) – 48Gb/s|
|Storage Types||1.5, 3.0 or 6.0Gb/s SAS and/or SATA End Devices|
|Zoning||T10 Compliant Zoning|
|Zone Groups & Zone Sets||Embedded SAS Domain Manager (SDM)
Up to 192 zone groups
Up to 16 zone sets
|Management Interface||SAS in-band or 10/100 Ethernet out-of-band|
Fourteen x4 SFF8088 (MiniSAS) - Passive connectors
Two x4 SFF8088 (MiniSAS) - Active connectors that provide active
copper cable support
|LED Indicators||Activity – 1 per port||Link/Fault – 1 per port|
|Real time clock||Battery backup RTC|
|Power Consumption||25 watts nominal (no active cables); 50 watts max|
|Power Supply||External 12 Volt ±5% with 100-240 VAC @ 50/60Hz external power supply|
|Size||1/2W – 1.65” x 8” x 10” (Two will fit in a standard 1U rack space)|
Temperature: 5°C to 50°C
Relative Humidity: 5 to 90% Noncondensing
Temperature: -45°C to 105°C
Relative Humidity: 5 to 90% Noncondensing
|Compliances||FCC Class B; Canada ICES-003 Class B, CE Europe (EN55022/EN55024); Japan VCCI Class B)|
|SAS Switch Accessories||SAS6160 1U Mounting Tray; SAS6160 Replacement Power Supply; Active Cables available in different lengths|
|Ordering Information||LSI SAS6160 Switch P/N: LSI00269|
Download the Broadcom 6160 SAS Switch Product Brief (PDF).
- Pricing and product availability subject to change without notice.